PBA promotes high standards in partnership brokering
and requires all those who complete our Professional Accreditation porgramme and who pass the examination process to sign a set of good practice principles prior to being awarded formal their Accreditation.
Principles of Partnership Brokering Good Practice:
- Keeping up to date with new developments in the theory and practice of brokering multi-stakeholder partnerships (including adoption of existing tools / approaches / frameworks)
- Being reflective and striving for diversity, equity, openness, mutual benefit and courageous practice whilst operating in a partnership brokering role
- Being prepared to challenge partnering assumptions and poor partnering behaviour at any stage of the partnering cycle in ways most likely to bring about constructive change
- Taking every opportunity to build partnering and partnership brokering capacity in others
- Sharing knowledge generously and not holding on to knowledge for personal aggrandizement or gain
- Refraining from promoting a partnering process when aware that an alternative approach is more likely to deliver better outcomes
- Avoiding taking actions as that might involve risk without prior endorsement from those most likely to be impacted
- Being an ethical and responsible practitioner by raising concerns about the partnership or the actions of individual partners
- Acknowledging competence limitations and being open to requesting assistance from others
- Being willing to let go and hand over the partnership brokering role when the time is right
All partnership brokers – whether formally accredited or not – are strongly advised and encouraged to review their practice against these principles on a regular basis in order to assess where their approach may be deviating from them and to consider how they may best be upheld – especially when working under pressure and / or in challenging contexts.
This will not only provide support and structure to an individual’s brokering activities but will also help to set and maintain the highest partnership brokering standards worldwide and to build the credibility of partnership brokering as a paradigm.